Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Japanese Sweet Potato Cake


















Erm.. they don't look too appetising, do they? But do trust me and take the plunge, they do taste great! My mom and sis (including me) love Isetan, especially when they have Hokkaido fair, Kyushu fair, etc. During these fairs, we will queue up (which I really dread doing, but will do when it comes to food) to buy specialties from that region. One of them is this Sweet Potato Cake that captured our hearts (my mom's, really).

Although it is named 'cake', it is not a cake actually. It is usually sold during Hokkaido fair and the price is really steep. I mean, who would buy a piece of sweet potato for 10 bucks? Well, my mom did. So to deter her from ever doing this again, I decided to recreate it. All my mom had to do is to be my sweet potato supplier and I will do the rest. It is important to get good, big, Japanese sweet potatoes. Those with purple skin and bright yellow flesh. Those skinnies from Vietnam will not make the cut.

Japanese Sweet Potato Cake
Ingredients
500g to 550g Sweet Potatoes
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tbsp Honey or 10g Sugar
15g Whipping Cream
15g Butter, softened to room temperature

1 Tbsp Honey for glazing (optional)

Method
1. Wash and steam the sweet potatoes till soft. Left aside to cool.

2. Slice cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the centre, creating a cavity.

3. Mash the flesh through a mesh. Using a hand whisk, whisk in all ingredients till well mixed.

4. Spoon the mixture back into the cavity. Bake them at 180 degree C for 10 minutes or till browned. If decided to glaze; glaze with honey just before baking. Bake for about 4 or 5 minutes, remove from oven, glaze again. Pop back to the oven and bake till done.


じゃね~~

6 comments:

celine said...

interesting! never eaten this before........ will try it out once i get some jap potatoes (which is my fav, yum)

KWF said...

Rei, how does this taste like, texture wise?

Baking Fiend said...

oh this is interesting! i love sweet potatoes too. however, the price tags on those jap food in isetan always puts me off... thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rei said...

Skinnymum : Do try and give a verdict.

WF : The texture is creamy and custard like.

Ida : Totally agree! That's why have to DIY! :D

chumpman said...

I like Japanese sweet potatoes too but they are pricey here in HK also, costs HK$15/100g more or less. Interesting recipe, would love to try when I get Japanese sweet potatoes next time.

Quinn said...

Hi Rei,
I was wondering whether this could be what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZeyu6ftCmI&feature=PlayList&p=F05EB31037C71231&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

Do check it out if you have time.


Cheers,
Quinn