Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Marble Cake

Photobucket

I have baked marble cake numerous times but have yet to eat a single slice myself. I used this recipe from Aunty Yochana's Blog (thanks Aunty for sharing!) with some tweaking to bake for Ah Boy's 1st month celebration instead of buying cake vouchers from Bengawan Solo. It was a marathon baking session as I can only bake 1 cake at a time. In 4 days, I baked 20 cakes for relatives and neighbours (*sshhh~~ don't tell my mom). It was very tiring, especially just after 1st month of confinement and had to stop in between Ah Boy's feeds. I wanted to leave 1 cake for myself then but had to give that away too as I left out 1 neighbour. Later on, I was too preoccupied to bake the cake for some taste test.

Well, if 20 families said that this cake was good, it must be good. I shared this recipe with a fellow blogger, which she succeeded in making. So when my long time girl friend chose Marble Cake as her birthday cake, I used this recipe again. Later on, she messaged me, raving about how good the cake was. Feeling elated, guilty and curious at the same time, I finally baked 1 for myself last night. Eheheh.. not bad (self brag). Happy Birthday, FY! Of all the 21 years we have known each other, you have been extremely patient and supportive. It is not easy to maintain our friendship especially when you have to put up with IH's crap. I am really grateful to have you by my side all these years. Glad you and your family love the cake. I'll bake for you somemore okay?

Here's the recipe.

Orange Chocolate Marble Cake
Ingredients :
200g Butter
100 g Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
3 Egg Yolk
2 tbsp Evaporated milk
a pinch of salt

200 g Cake flour
1 tsp Baking powder

* Sift together

3 Egg White
80 g Sugar

1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (sifted)
2 tbsp Evaporated Milk

*Mix thoroughly, warm up the milk if you find the cocoa powder difficult to dissolve.

Zest of 1 Orange

Method :
1) Beat butter, sugar, salt and vanilla essence until light and creamy.

2) Add in the egg yolk one at a time and beat until creamy. Add in evaporated milk.

3) Fold in sifted cake flour and baking powder.

4) Whisk egg white and sugar to a soft peak and fold gently into the creamed butter mixture.

5) Spoon about half of the mixture into a separate bowl. Add in the cocoa mixture and stir well.

6) Stir in the orange zest into the rest of the batter.

7) Drop alternate spoonfuls of mixtures into an 7" round pan. Use a chopstick to pull backwards and forward through the mixture.

8) Bake cake for 1 hour in oven at 180 deg.C or when the skewer comes clean. Turn the cake onto wire rack to cool.

*Note : I needed to use aluminium foil to cover the top of the cake as the convection oven browns very quickly.

Happy baking~ それじゃ~~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great bake reirei! i've tried this recipe before too...tasted great but mine didn't look as pretty as yours. somehow, i wasn't able to achieve the even swirling effect. have you received the cutters/plungers yet? i've had them mailed out since last week - TANIA

Rei said...

Hi Tania, many thanks ya.. I received the package. Was caught up with work and forgot to inform you, Sorry. :p

Anonymous said...

hey, no probs. just wanted to be sure the items have reached your hands safely!

Yuri said...

Hey rei, what a coincidence! We both baked marble cake last nite lol. I was too lazy to make nice swirls and just "any how". Must have patience when baking anything, guess this hobby should help me to develop more patience. Good job!

KWF said...

I was about to say how come both you and yuri bake the same marble cake! Maybe I should bake one also...lol...but I'm not a fan of marble cake leh. Is this the heavy or light kind of cake?

Anonymous said...

Hey rei this cakes looks good. Since all good comments I think it is worth to try hor. Eh wanna ask u, u Japanese ah?

Rei said...

Yuri, for marble cake, you have to take some time to make the swirls. The 2 flavours will be more even out.

WF, this butter cake is not dry. Using the egg separation method, the cake is soft and fluffy. Use the recipe to adapt to an orange butter cake lah.. I know you like. Hee..

Sue, can try out this cake, it's nice. Eh.. I'm not japanese. I '哈日(本帅哥)'. Ahahah.. :D

KWF said...

Rei, cannot resist after seeing you and yuri's cakes. So I bake one also! But a different version. Cake just out from oven, not very nicely done though (as usual). Now waiting for it to cool off for testing. heee...

ting said...

Hello Rei,

Been reading your blog for a while:) I've added you to my food blog! Kudos to u for taking the effort to bake 20 cakes during confinement..A mummy's love indeed :)

Looking forward to more great bakes by u!

Sri said...

Thanks for adding me !

Rei said...

Hi ting, if you don't mind, I would love to link you too.

Hi Sri, it's my pleasure!

ting said...

Hi rei,

Thanks for the link:)