Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, April 27, 2009

Airplane Cake



















The cake is ordered by a loving wife for her husband's 32nd birthday. This is the second airplane cake I have made. I modelled this with reference to Ah Boy's toy, thus the plane looked a tad fat. This was a 1kg chocolate mousse cake so the plane was smaller. I encountered some problem attaching the wings and rudder. Partly my fault as I was impatient and start moving it around when the royal icing was apparently half-dried.


















To me, the ramp is an eyesore. I wanted to reduce the thickness of the ramp but it turned out not being able to support the plane's weight. I made the plane's wheels but that too, collapsed. So I had to choose between aesthetic and physics. It's a no-brainer anyway; science won.

























It was a challenge making it symmetrical and piping all those 'grass'. This is my design flaw, I should have used chocolate shavings on the side like my first airplane cake. But I have to admit, the 'grass' effect does look better.

6 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow Rei! Another edible art piece! So beautiful! Gee, I hope my kids don't get to see your posts! All these that you've made, Ben 10, airplanes are just some of their favourites!! Then I'll have to seek your advice on the "know hows"!! ;)

Art of Eating said...

Still i find this cake looks lovely and impressive. Good Job !

cre8tone said...

So creative!~

Pei-Lin said...

Rei,

Every part of the cake looks fantastic to me. You're such a perfectionist that I think you're being too harsh on yourself. How I wish I'm able to come up with something like this. You can be my "sifu" already lor ...

Keep up the great work!!

Pei-Lin

Baking Fiend said...

it's beautifully executed, nonetheless! just a suggestion, maybe next time you can make the cake at an angle? so that you can do away wif the ramp. :P

Rei said...

Thanks all for your kind words.

Ida : Will keep that in mind on my next attempt. :D