Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 23, 2008

Soy Milk Ice cream (Eggless)

Photobucket

This is one of my experiments and my laboratory, as usual is my kitchen. I remembered over at Kitchen Capers, a fellow forumer was looking for the recipe for Soy Milk Ice Cream. It was something I was looking for too. How to make a cholesterol-free and healthier ice cream has always been on my mind. I know I am singing to the same old tune that I try to make this and that in a healthier version for the sake of my parents. It is my way of repaying what they have done for me, for raising me up. In a way, I am seeking redemption of what hurt I have caused them in the past.

Anyway, back to the ice cream. I blog hopped to Cecily's and found this food blog event hosted at Mike's Table. This gave me the final push to test out what I have drafted on paper. I wanted try making this without egg yolks but I realised that I may not be able to achieve the custard like texture before freezing or even before stirring in the whipped cream. Without achieving that state, I can foresee that it will turn out to be a sorbet or icicle pop instead. Therefore, I added Tofu. Yes, you read right. I used blended Tofu to replace the texture of custard. My helper went, 'Eeeww~' at the thought but after tasting it, she liked it. Ahahah~~ I tried as much as possible to reduce the fat content but whipped cream is really necessary for the ice cream to achieve the creamy texture.

Soy Milk Ice Cream (or Tofu Ice cream if you prefer)
Ingredients
150ml Whipping Cream (35% fat content)

300g Silken Tofu
80g Condensed Milk (I used low fat)
100ml Unsweetened Soy Milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method
1) In a bowl, whip whipping cream to mousse state. Chill in the fridge.

2) Remove the tofu from the container and blanched in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes. Leave aside to cool completely.

3) In a blender, add tofu, condensed milk, soy milk, vanilla essence and blend till smooth.

4) Fold in whipped cream and pour into a container. Freeze for 3 to 4 hours. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture till smooth and creamy. Use a blender if you want.

5) Return to container and freeze till set.

Simple? Do give it a try.

それじゃ~~

*Update : The round up is up! Check out here for details. It's a great place if you are collecting frozen dessert recipes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice cream that's actually good for me? I'm digging the use of tofu and soy milk.

Anonymous said...

Can't miss this recipe !!! I like tofu and soy milk a lot and even bought soy milk maker home and make on my own.