Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Milo Chiffon Cake

Photobucket

I baked this Milo Chiffon Cake on Good Friday at the request of my little picky eater. Usually, I don't have to go back to office on Saturdays but I had to. To compensate her for sacrificing her 'kai kai' time on Saturday, I decided to bake her a cake. I let her choose a flavour, she chose Milo. It wasn't that difficult to decide on which type of cake to bake. Her favourite so far is chiffon cake, and it's not too oily for her, chiffon it shall be! I fall back on my trusty chiffon cake recipe. I tasted the Milo to see if I need to make adjustment to the amount of sugar to be used. I have not been drinking Milo for a long time. It's not that sweet so I didn't make any changes to the recipe.

Along the way, after adding about 3 tablespoons of Milo to the milk, the colour was still quite pale. I decided to add 1/2 tablespoon of Cocoa powder. Guess I have to adjust the sugar to be used afterall. After baking, the taste of Milo wasn't that evident but Ah Girl liked it and requested me to make it some time soon. Thus, I'm in a dilemma. I wanted to scrap the idea of using Milo and use Cocoa powder instead in future. So how? Aiyah.. don't care, just write it down. Decide another time.

Milo Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
30g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
130g UHT milk
3 tbsp Milo
1/2 tbsp Cocoa powder

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder

*Sift 2x

(C)
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method
1) In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.

2) Add oil and salt, whisk and add milk, Milo and Cocoa powder. Stir well.

3) Fold in sifted flour and mix well.

4) In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.

5) Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.

6) Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.

7) Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.

8) Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.

9) Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 10mins.

10) Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for 10mins. Lift up the foil to check the surface of cake, bake for another 10mins.

11) Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.

12) Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.

*Note : Actually, I tried baking this at 180 deg.C throughout the first 30 minutes but it resulted in a cracked top. So I think I have to stick to the above regime.

Happy baking~ じゃね~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rei,
I've been visiting your blog as I love chiffons but always never found the courage to bake one.

BUT, I finally baked my virgin chiffon successfully a couple of days ago :)

So here I am again, looking through your recipes and shortlisted this to be my next bake (my kids love cranberries).

BTW, do you think it's ok to use frozen egg whites? Will it affect the texture of the cake?

Rei said...

Reena : Thanks for visiting my blog and congrats on your success. Frozen egg white will not affect the texture. I use frozen egg whites all the time with chiffon cakes. You just need to bring them to room temperature.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to bake your cranberry yoghurt chiffon but I ran out of yoghurt so I baked the milo chiffon instead. While in the oven (5 mins after reducing temp to 150C), the top cracked very badly (like huat kueh). I use a normal 8" round pan. Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong?

Anonymous said...

My kids love this too! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm definitely more confident baking chiffons now, thanks to your great tips and wonderful blog!