Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 20, 2008

Gumpaste Recipe


















For those who have written to me about the recipe I used for the gumpaste flowers and butterflies, here it is. The original recipe can be found here. The reason I chose this recipe instead of those using Gum Tragacanth is because it is a cheaper alternative. I read that it also holds better in humidity. Making your own gumpaste is definitely cheaper than buying commercial ones.

For those who are using regular mixer, like my Philips Cucina, the below recipe will not fry your machine as I have already quartered it from the original recipe. You will need to make this at least 24 hours beforehand to allow the paste to mature. The flowers and butterflies I made, dried fairly well after 24 hours.

Nicholas Lodge's Tylose Gumpaste
Ingredient
1 Egg White
8 Oz. Icing Sugar
4 level Tsp Tylose Powder

Some Crisco Shortening

Method
1) In a mixing bowl, beat egg white with dough hook on high speed.

2) Set aside 1/4* cup of icing sugar. Using low speed, add remaining icing sugar to the egg white. Turn to highest speed and beat till soft peak.

3) Turn the speed back to low and sprinkle tylose powder over five seconds. Turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. The mixture will became quite thick.

4) Sprinkle the work surface with the reserved icing sugar. Remove the mixture from the bowl onto a work surface. Rub your hands with shortening and knead the paste, adding icing sugar gradually till you get a soft but not sticky dough. Wrap the paste tightly with a plastic bag and keep it in a ziplock bag.

5) Refrigerate for 24 hours.

6) Bring paste to room temperature before use.

For storage instructions, kindly follow the link provided.

Happy decorating!

*Edited.

7 comments:

颜姨 said...

Hi Rei,

Thanks for sharing your recipe with me. Really need that cox friend of mine want me to make a "Thomas the train" for her nephew in Dec.

cheers

shira

Edith said...

Thanks for sharing.

Cookie said...

Hi Rei, can I check if you use the gigantic rolling pin to roll the fondant when making the castle cake and this one?

I am thinking of baking for my son's birthday but not sure if worth splurging on the rolling pin!

Regards
cookie

Rei said...

Shiraschoice & E : No worries!

Cookie : Actually no. I do not have the Wilton rolling pin for fondant if that is what you are referring to. I used a normal wooden pastry roller. It's rather big I must say. I sand it down to use for fondant.

Cookie said...

Rei, thanks for replying.

Yes, I am referring to the Wilton Fondant Rolling Pin. I bought the small one for my previous cookie bouquet class, and I am contemplating whether to get the big big one.

Regards
cookie

youfei said...

Hi Rei,

just to check, the original recipe says to reserve 1 cup of powdered icing sugar.

You mentioned you quatered the recipe, but in your recipe you also mentioned reserve 1 cup of sugar. Should it be 1/4 instead?

Btw, where do you get Tylose powder?

thanks!

regards,
youfei

Rei said...

Youfei : Yes, it should be 1/4 cup instead. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. You can get Tylose powder at Bake-It-Yourself.