Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pineapple Tarts


















So, what makes a good pineapple tart? It must be bite-size so that you won't feel wozzy after going through 1 or 2 (face it, pineapple tart lovers can't stop at 1). It must have a good ratio of pineapple jam to tart shell. When the flavour of the buttery tart and the jam comes together, it should strike a blissful balance. The tart shell must be sturdy enough to hold and soft enough to crumble in your mouth. The jam flavoured with cinnamon and cloves, though sweet, must have a hint of sourness to entice you to reach out for the next tart, another, then another. Well, this is my idea of a good pineapple tart.

Pineapple tarts are the only festive cookies I look forward to during Chinese New Year. For as long as I could remember, it is the only cookies I attacked when I went visiting from house to house. I used 'is' because I still do. So, you might want to guard your pineapple tarts when I visit.

My mom used to bake pineapple tarts and sell them during Chinese New Year. She has since stopped baking her 'melt-in-the-mouth' killer pineapple tarts. We had to make-do with store boughts. After a few horrid pineapple tarts, I decided to make my own. There is this perculiar trait that runs in my family. Whenever we eat something that tasted awful or not up to mark, we will search frantically for an 'antidote'; same food but of course, a known, delicious one. Armed with my mom's recipe, I got the taste and texture I like. My mom used to shape the tarts in closed-tart type, a very pretty 'leaf' shape. I had clumsy hands and couldn't shape them like hers. So I made them into open face tarts. 1 good thing about baking your own tarts is that you can take 1 off the tray and pop it in your mouth, all in the name of quality check (uh-oh, the calories! *gasp*)



















These are what I have to offer this year. From top; almond cookies, pineapple tarts, peanut cookies and cornflake cookies. I would like to thank those who placed their faith and ordered from me. I am glad that the taste that I love has found a way to your home. I hope you liked them. Order is now closed. Thank you for your support.

祝 :新年快乐 身体健康 万事如意

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just made my first pineapple tarts and boy it was a lot of work. Kudos to you for coming up with some many different types of yummy-licious cookies.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. all these goodies look so delicious!!!!! I love the colour of the pineapple jam :) It's so inviting..... :p

Small Small Baker said...

Beautiful pineapple tarts! Wishing you and your family an Ox-picious new year! :)

Rei said...

Thank you all! Happy 牛 Year to you too! ^_^

Noob Cook said...

Yours is so pro and all the sizes are uniform... and u also made your own jam which must be extra tasty...
great job! Wishing you and your family an ox-picious and happy niu year! =D

Baking Fiend said...

Hi Rei,

GONG HEI FATT CHOY! May you and you family enjoy a prosperous and fruitful Ox year!

Mel said...

Hi Rei,

You must be very busy making CNY cookies. Your pineapple tarts look very delicious and pretty.

Wish You & Your Family a Happy and a Healthy and Prosperous Chinese New Year.

Happy Homebaker said...

What pretty cookies you have made! Thanks for sharing on how to make the pinapple jam...I hope I have gain enough confidence to try making my own next year. Here's wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year!

KWF said...

牛年快乐 Rei!I'm still searching for my perfect pineapple tarts recipe. Yours look great!

ting said...

Hey rei,your pineapple tarts are so well done. Makes me wanna pop one into my mouth! Here's wishing you and your family a prosperous lunar new year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Edith said...

Rei, wishing you a Happy New Year.

Cheers

Rei said...

Wiify, Ida, Mel, HHB, KWF, Ting & Edith : Pardon me for the slow response. Wishing you and your family a prosperous and happy new year!