Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Condensed Milk Pound Cake II

Photobucket

I decided to make this again last Saturday. As I did not take a very good picture of the first cake, I wanted to make another 1 to make up for it. Moreover. although the reviews were good but I feel that it is still a little too oily and on the sweet side for my family. While using condensed milk lends the cake its rich and milky taste, the tricky part of the recipe is to balance the sweetness of the cake. My parents, being the ultra-sensitive sugar detectors, will constantly remind me to cut down on sugar. Perhaps they, too have noticed my expanding waistline and thunder thighs.

Besides contributing sweetness to cakes, sugar helps to moisten the cake. For chiffon cakes and sponge cakes, it helps to build the structure of cakes. Like salt, sugar is a natural preservative. Maybe that is why most cake recipes call for the amount of sugar. It is a constant struggle for me. As much as I wanted to stay true to the recipe (respecting the author), I know that none of us in the family will finish the cake. If I were to reduce the amount of sugar, by what quantity so that it does not affect the cake texture? Or having it still too sweet or ended up, bland? This gave me the excuse reason to test the recipe again till I get it right. Of course, I cannot overdo it too. I think I have to turn on my 'bread mode' very soon.

For this cake, I doubled the recipe and baked in a 8 x 8 inch square pan. With the same effort, I prefer to bake a bigger cake so that more can go around. The cake was big enough to divide into 3 portions and given out to my sis/parents and neighbour. I did not check how long my sis kept it with her but for my neighbour, it only lasted 15 minutes. I guess having older kids helped. Although I reduced the butter and sugar, the cake still taste great. It will taste slightly drier than the previous one though. So, pick 1 to suit your palate.

Condensed Milk Pound II
Ingredients
160g Butter (good quality butter)
40g Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Cup Condensed Milk

240g Cake Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder

*Sift together

4 Eggs

Method
1) Grease a 8 x 8 inch square pan and preheat oven to 170 deg.C.

2) In a bowl, using an electric whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add in salt, vanilla essence and condensed milk, whisk till incorporated.

3) Stop to add flour. I roughly used the whisk to mix and dampen the flour before turning back on, whisk using low speed. Scrap down the sides and whisk till the batter is smooth and not lumpy.

4) Add in the eggs, 1 at a time, whisk well. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 170 deg.C for 1 hour.

*Note : Despite reducing the sugar drastically, my dad and sis said it can be further reduced. However, my neighbour said she preferred it to be sweeter. Haiya.. can't please everyone.

Happy Baking! じゃね~~

3 comments:

Yuri said...

Hey Rei, I've been resisting the urge to bake this cake again! Now I have reason to try again lol but must make sure i buy low fat condensed milk next time. Good job, and yeah, cannot please everybody

Anonymous said...

Hi Rei, it's me again, the Pound cake looks tempting.. can double check -> add flour then eggs?
If I want it slightly sweeter, how much more sugar should I add? Will an extra 50g sugar too sweet? Thank you for your time, best rgds, Chris

Rei said...

Chris : Yes, you add the eggs last. As the condensed milk is already sweet, I would suggest additional 20 to 30g of sugar.