Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, March 31, 2008

Baked Mini Donuts

mini donut 2

That's Ah Boy's hand trying to grab the donuts. Must be pretty attractive to him. ^_^

Finally, I made these donuts. Ah Girl waited a good 6 months, 3 weeks and 1 day for me to make these donuts for her. It was the last thing I wanted to make for her before my water broke and had to rush to the hospital. You see, I picked up baking again when I was pregnant with Ah Boy. I thought it would be great idea to bond with Ah Girl while we 'play' in the kitchen. I know she loves donuts but I didn't want her to have too much of fried stuffs. So when I found the recipe here, I decided to bake some for her. Mainly to show her that I still love and care for her (avoid sibling rivalry and 1st born anxiety).

Ah Boy was not supposed to be due till another 3 weeks' time. While preparing the stuffs, I felt some wetness. Oh dear, I must have waited too long to go to the loo. So I went in to check. Uh oh, I was sort of leaking. Did my water broke? Not too sure. I had an induced birth when I had Ah Girl. So I told my helper, 'Never mind lah, little bit only. I bake very fast one. Also didn't feel any contractions.' She said, 'Ma'am!! Cannot bake already! Go bathe and change already! I go call Sir.' I was like, 'Tsk.. so gan cheong.. no pain what..' The contractions and pain started when I was in the bathroom. I was practically leaking all the way to my room (sorry if you find my description gross. :p). On my way to the hospital, the contractions were only 1 minute apart. So you can imagine, after I was being pushed into the delivery room, everything was 'chop chop', very fast. The epidural didn't even have enough time to take effect fully.

When I baked these on Sunday, Grace laughed remembering what happened. I thanked her for her wisdom. Ahahahah.. I might have ended up giving birth at home or the carpark if I went ahead with baking. Ah Girl, thank you for your patience. Here's the recipe which I modified slightly.

Baked Mini Donuts (yields 24 pieces)
Ingredients
240g Top Flour
70g sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

180ml milk
1 egg
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method
1) Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.

2) In another bowl, using a mixer, whisk egg till fluffy. Add butter and milk together.

3) Pour wet ingredients into flour mix. Stir to mix till it forms into a sticky batter.

4) Pour batter into donut tray (about half full).

5) Baked in the oven 180C for 10 to 12 mins.

6) Remove to cool before decorating.

*Notes : You will need to preheat the oven if you are using a conventional oven.

xiao ding dang

Ah Girl had lots of fun decorating them all. She was so proud of them, she asked me to pack some for my parents and sisters and kept pestering them to try. She makes a pretty good salesperson I think. Ahah.. I used the remaining chocolate and my new mould to make Doraemon in 3D for Ah Girl. I guess that makes her one very happy kid. :D

それじゃ~~

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reirei, thanks for dropping by my blog with your comforting words.

Once again.. I love the your baked donuts!! It's indeed fun to do this with your daughter. I'm sure she be asking for more. Haha..

WokkingMum said...

Ooo .... these are to pretty to be eaten!!

Anonymous said...

i thot the donuts are the large ones until i saw their size relative to your ah boy's hand =) they look amazingly pretty in PINK...i'm sure all little gals/kids/adults (esp ME!) will go ga-ga over them! the pink doraemons are so cute too - TANIA

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

I have never made donuts b4 n i always thought they were fried. ur donuts look very pretty, good enough to market. thanks 4 the recipe:0

Gina Choong said...

rei, doraemon going pink! I haven't got time to play with mine yet. :)

Rei said...

Didally, no worries. If I may, can I link you please?

Wokkingmum, thank you. :)

Tania, I guess pink is your fave colour? :D

Terri, thanks for dropping by.

Gina, it was quite easy to unmould. Thanks for bring this in. Dd loves it!

KWF said...

rei, you got me interested in trying the Doremon mould also, but I don't really fancy chocolate leh.

Yuri said...

hey rei, thanks for this post, heartwarming :) So how did donuts taste? I may try this on my yet unopened donut maker lol

Anonymous said...

Rei, sure you can link me. :)

Jo said...

Hi, this is Jo. Just wish to say sorry that I made a big mistake. I wanted to say TERRIFIC, but mistakenly typed `terrible`. They meant the total opposite ya. How could I made this kind of silly mistake??!!! That was the problem of stealing time at work to reply messages :D Please don`t be mad. Cheerio!

Rei said...

Hi Jo, no offence taken, really! Ahahaha.. :D

Anonymous said...

HI Rei

i just bought the donut tray. may i know how to make the icing pls? also, can i replace the top flour with cake flour and can i use fresh milk?
thks
regards
octopusmum

The Sweetylicious said...

hi rei (: may i know where you bought he donut pan from? and do you have a book to recommend me for donuts? thank you!! (: (: