Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 20, 2008

Chilled Blueberries Cheesecake


















My mom has been asking me to stop baking eversince she noticed my expanding waistline. But the baking bugs are hard to kill, you can't spray 'em with insecticide for sure. Every now and then, I will still bake but I did divert my attention to the crochet hooks. To keep up with the pace I set for myself, I decided not to bake during weeknights. Thus you will see less stuff churning out of my kitchen. However, there has been this nagging thought on my mind. Given the amount of time I am sitting down now; instead of my waistline, would, you know, my behind be the next to 'prosper'?

Recently, the term that kept coming up is 'spreading the wealth'. Well, I don't have 'wealth' to spread around but I am all for sharing. This is a well-loved combination among my friends. Usually, when I make a chilled cheesecake, it is meant to be a gift. I don't usually get to eat it. Which is great! I get to create something but didn't have to put on weight. That's a good way of spreading the fats love around. In case you are worried, this recipe is a healthier version and induces less guilt. The recipe is the same as this cake Lemon curd cheesecake, but I replace lemon curd with blueberry puree.

Blueberries Cheesecake
Ingredients
Base :
120g Digestive Biscuits, crushed finely
40g Softened butter

Filling :
100g Cream Cheese, bring to room temperature
100g Yoghurt (Paul's set yoghurt)
60g Fine Sugar

1 Tbsp + 1/2 Tsp Gelatin
3 Tbsp Boiling Water

*make sure the gelatin is melted and kept warm

200g Blueberry Puree*
200ml Non Dairy Whip Cream, whipped to mousse state and chilled

Topping : (Optional)
4 Tbsp Blueberry Pie Filling
1-1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice

*Mix well

100ml Non Dairy Whip Cream, whipped stiff and chilled

Method
1) Prepare a 7 inch loose base round tin. Mix the crushed biscuits and butter in a bowl. Transfer to the cake tin, using a small spoon to press the base evenly. Chill in the fridge for later use.

2) In a mixing bowl, using a electric whisk, whisk cream cheese, yoghurt and sugar till mixture is creamy and no lumps. Pour in the gelatin mixture, using a hand whisk to incorporate well. Add in blueberry puree and whipped cream, stir well.

3) Pour into the prepared cake tin, using a spatula to level the surface. Leave to chill for at least 3 hours. Remove from tin.

4) Choose your desired piping tip and pipe the whipped cream along the edges of the cake. Spoon and spread the blueberries pie filling on top of the cake. Decorate as desired.

*Note : To make blueberry puree, simply take 220g of blueberries pie filling and add 20g of water, blend well and sieve.

Usually, I would love to add fresh berries to the cake but blueberries are not in season now and 1 punnet (250g) is going at S$6.95 as compared to previous price of S$3.85. My wallet didn't like the idea so I would have to make do with the canned ones. It worked well by the way.

それじゃ~~

17 comments:

Jose said...

Looks wonderful

Emily said...

Try making these cupcakes!

http://yoonie-at-home.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your cake is simply beautiful & elegant with a few ingredients! What a talented mom your are!
What is Non Dairy Whip Cream? I'm little confuse because we have the whipped cream (35% fat)use for garnishing/cover a cake AND a imitation whipped cream (like Cool Whip)in North America.

Thank

Kimberly

quizzine said...

Hi Rei,
This blueberry cake look so tempting! Feel like having a slice right-away ;-P

Edith said...

mmmmm..... such a lovely cake.... I too am putting on weight becos I can't do vigorous exercise still. :( so let's partner together to "prosper" hahahah

Family First said...

its really a nice cake. May I know how you manage to get such smooth sides cos when I remove mine from the springform pan, the sides are not as smooth as yours wor.

Noob Cook said...

Wow, blueberry and cheesecake ... this combi has my fave food ingredients. So beautiful ^_^ May I ask what oven you're using? I'm thinking of purchasing a stand alone one.

Rei said...

Jose : Thank you! Your work is beautiful!

Emily : Thanks for the link!

Kimberly : Non dairy whip cream is imitation whipped cream. It's made out of vegetable fats. You can replace it with dairy whip cream too.

Quizzine : Thanks!

E : Ahahah.. as in like partner in crime? :D

family first : I used a loose base pan, I slide the cake out. So maybe that's why the sides are smooth?

noobcook : I'm using a Tecno 3400 tabletop oven. 42 litres.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Rei,
This is a very pretty cheesecake! Very lovely color! yummy!!!

ganache-ganache said...

Wow, this is a very healthy cheesecake. I'm going to try it out, my sis brought me blueberries when they visited me last month !! Did you make this for yourself, bd, Oct ??

KWF said...

What a lovely cake, Rei. Blueberry's my fav. Not too sure whether I'll have a chance to make this in the near future coz my reno gg to start mid Nov, so whole school hol cannot bake :(

Rei said...

Kitchen Corner : Thanks!

Ganache2 : Nope, it's not my bday cake. I don't think I'll be making 1 for myself. Ahah.

WF : This recipe is very easy to put together, no oven needed. Good luck on your reno. Hope to see you in action soon!

ganache-ganache said...

I tried making this cheesecake, it was great, thank you for the recipe !!

quizzine said...

Hi Rei,
I did this cake last thurs and it's really 'oishii'! I'm tempted to try out other flavours like strawberry, kiwi, manago... Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rei said...

Quizzine : Glad you liked it. Just a word of caution; kiwi and gelatine do not work well together. Its enzymes will stop it from setting.

❧Mȳšţεᾷřίçά❧ said...

May i know what tips u use for decorating the cake on top (the borders there on top of the cake)

Rei said...

Mystearica (?): Hi, I can't really remember. It is a star tip, perhaps tip 22?