Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wedding Cake For A Friend


















Judging by how many shots I took for this cake, shows how proud am I of this cake. I took a total of 58 shots of it. Scary huh? Well, pardon me for overindulging and self-bragging because this is the first wedding cake I have made. My first attempt on making gumpaste from scratch and of course, my first gumpaste flowers and butterflies. The review came back; the couple loved the design (well, I think the bride will love it more than the groom. It's a 'girlish' cake afterall) and the family enjoyed the cake as well.



















Thanks to the vast information online, I am able to make this cake a reality. If you are into cake decorating, do join this new community. There, I learnt the importance of lining a fruitcake with marzipan before fondant. The fruitcake recipe is from my aunt and I have yet to have her permission to post it here. My apologies. If I were to do this over again, I would try to roll out the gumpaste as thin as it would go. I am still not too satisfied with the results yet.



















This part of detailing took me quite abit of time. I was afraid that the whole thing will not form a proper sequence, but I guess my 'guess-timation' was spot on this time. In case you are wondering, they were sugar pearls, difference sizes of dragees and gumpaste cut-outs, glued together with royal icing. I did not purchase expensive flower or butterfly cutters for this project. The Sakura flower cutters were actually from Daiso. They are vegetable cutters meant for my bentos really. The butterfly cutters are those cheap plastic cutters for cookies. So if you are new to decorating, do not go out and kill your wallet by buying those expensive cutters. Like me, I do not know how long my interest in gumpaste and fondant would last. Start with the cheapest tools you can get your hands on first. In my opinion, if you could use the simplest tool and make something grand; you will get much more satisfication out of it.



















Another view.



















Close up on the butterfly and flowers.

Okay, this is one of my backlogs. This cake was done in September, that's how far behind I am with my posts. Anyway, 1 down, a few more to go. I need to find some motivation. But now, it's back to the hooks again.

じゃね~~

26 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

WOW WOW WOW! all these on ur own, no lessons frm anyone? fantastic job! i took lessons frm a sugarpaste expert for 3 weekends n then another course frm a wilton icing expert for royal icing techniques n yet i struggle. it took me a week to do 1 wedding cake!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Dear miyazaki(Rei)
This is my first time on your blog and i simply loved your wedding cake..the subtle visual impact of the pink shades are very good and your fondant work is very appreciative...

Yuri said...

Great job there, Rei! I was waiting for our post. Really good advise about using not so expensive tools, if they work why not?

kel said...

This is really gorgeous! Great work!

KWF said...

Rei, you shd be proud of your cake. Such a sweet and wonderful creation! And to think that you did this from scratch, for a first timer somemore. I'm sure your friend must be very happy with it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rei

i am a loyal fan of your blog and would visit it everyday to see if there are new updates...i must say this wedding cake is really beautiful and you are v creative!

regards
octopusmum

Anonymous said...

Hi Rei,

What a beautiful cake u have over there. I like it very much...looks so sweet....you are so talented :) How i wish i could do something like that one day :)
Cheers!
Destiny

Rei said...

Terri : I learnt from the internet. Hee. But I guess the challenge will come when I do a tier cake.

Anamika : Thanks for visiting my blog. Compliments coming from you is a real honour and encouragement! I've been to your blog 'secretly' to admire your works which left me stunned for words! :)

Yuri : Yes, if they work, why not? *wink*

Kel : Thank you!

WF : Arigato! Well, it's me who is extremely happy actually. Ahahah~~

Octopusmum : Thanks for keep coming back. I hope my blog is not a disappointment.

Destiny : Don't be afraid to try. You'll never know until you give it a go. I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks so pretty & elegant ... I dare say it looks better than those commercial ones sold outside =D

Mel said...

Hi Rei,

Your cake look gorgeous and lovely. Really admire your skill and creative.

Mel

Art of Eating said...

Hi Rei,

Wow ! Really impressive. I'm in awe, such a fine piece of work. Well Done !

Rgds...Yin

Anonymous said...

this wedding cake is very, very beautiful. i think that's why you took a lot of shots. moreover it's your first. yeah, i also learnt a lot of things thro' the net but this is one challenge i've yet to venture into. maybe some day.

Katherine said...

hey rei! thats really a very beautiful cake! i can imagine if it is a 3 tier one...my gosh that will be so stunning!

btw... can i know how u make the small 5 petal flowers? i think they will look nice on pineapple tarts =)

ganache-ganache said...

The cake is so so gorgeous !! I think I would have taken 100 pics of it if I were to make it, well done !!
Oh, did you make the marzipan & fondant yourself ? I have to use RTR icing when I made a castle cake last month, still not confident in making my own...

Happy Homebaker said...

What a gorgeous cake! so pretty and oh so sweet :)

Rei said...

Thanks all for your kind words!

Delia : Don't be afraid to try, don't limit to your potential!

Katherine : The small petal flower is cut out with my blossom plunger set and yes, I'm going to use it for my pineapple tarts! :D

Ganache2 : Lorrine, I made the MMF myself but not the marzipan. I don't have a food processor to grind the almonds. Do try out making the MMF, you'll be surprised how staightforward it is.

Gina Choong said...

Rei, only 58 shots? hahaha..I loved your cake. so pink like Sakura flowers should be. We are such perfectionist, our cakes never seem to be perfect. oh dear, you and I are growing into Gordon Ramsey's shoes! :)

颜姨 said...

Hi Rei,

Good job! The cake really pretty. Can u share your gum paste recipe? Coz I had problem using those ready made gum paste making flowers and butterfly. They don't really "dry" after all.

I love making fondant cake coz each time u can challenge your creativities and the only limitation is your imagination, so there's a lot of room in playing in it! Keep it up!

rdgs,

shira

rdgs,

shira

Rei said...

Shira : Thanks! Give me some time to post.

PG CakeCraft said...

hi, Rei, just visited ur wonderful site & i'm so impressed by ur baking & decorating skills. ur cake looks so stunning & i luv the butterflies.

Bimmer said...

very beautifully done! fabulous!

Rei said...

sweetbites : Your Bob the builder cake is lovely too!

Bimmer : Your Halloween cupcakes are beautiful.

Jullie Teo said...

WOW!!! Impressed!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed, Rei. Can't believe it's your 1st wedding cake, great job ! Hope you will show us more soon. Cheers !

❧Mȳšţεᾷřίçά❧ said...

Do you mind sharing the buttercream icing recipe with me.The buttercream icing i made is too sweet...

Rei said...

Mystearica : THe buttercream recipe is being shared here : http://allthatmatters2rei.blogspot.com/2008/11/tatters-cake.html. HTH