Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 16, 2008

Chocolate Pound Cake

Photobucket

I went on to bake this Chocolate Pound Cake for my helper after baking the 2 cakes. Like the previous picture, it was taken using IH’s phone. The pictures did not do justice to the cakes. My apologies. Her brother is working on a trawler. The trawler will dock here for 4 months due to some engine problem. She requested to swap off day this Sunday to meet her brother and cousins who all work on the same ship.

I understand from my helper, chocolates in Philippines are of quite inferior quality. She said chocolates are mixed with flour or something, none of the pure stuffs we got here. I also came to know that she would buy loads of chocolates to bring home to Philippines because of this. Filipinas have sweet tooth, she told me. It is no wonder that when I gave out bakes to the neighbouring helpers, they always seemed very happy. I guess I am quite popular among the helpers. Ahahah~~ They will always acknowledge me when they walk pass.

I made this partly to experiment with the mixing method used in the Condensed Milk Pound Cake. If I knew this method earlier, I would have used it for Ah Boy’s First Month celebration instead of this. It is so much simpler. I used the simple pound cake common sense as a rule to devise the recipe that follows, that is to use equivalent amount of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. However, I replaced 20g of flour with cocoa powder and added another 10g more for that sinful chocolaty taste. Other add-ons, I copied from the condensed milk pound cake recipe. The result? Same fluffy cake and flavourful cake, minus the condensed milk taste. The mixing method will work for other similar pound cake or butter cake recipe.

Chocolate Pound Cake
Ingredients
150g Butter
150g Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1-1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
60g Evaporated Milk

130g Cake Flour
30g Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/8 Tsp Baking Soda

*Sift together
3 Eggs

Method
1) Grease a 7 inch round pan and preheat oven to 170 deg.C.

2) In a bowl, using an electric whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add in salt, vanilla essence and evaporated milk, whisk till incorporated.

3) Stop to add flour mix. I roughly used the whisk to mix and dampen the flour before turning back on (you don't want the flour to fluff up), whisk using low speed. Scrap down the sides and whisk till the batter is smooth and not lumpy.

4) Add in the eggs, 1 at a time, whisk well. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 170 deg.C for 1 hour.

*Note : I used a round pan as I do not have a bigger loaf pan. I used my toaster oven to bake this.

According to my helper, cake was wiped out real quick. Perhaps I should have baked a bigger cake. I also have an idea how to go about for Ah Girl’s birthday cake in August.

Happy baking! じゃね~~

8 comments:

Yuri said...

Very nice, Rei. Gonna try it as I flopped doing yr choc sponge cake last night :(

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

another recipe to print n keep! tahnks dear!

Goody Egg said...

Hi,
I made the choc sponge cake by rei not long ago, I almost failed too. After 20mins of baking, the cake was still very wet, I was a bit shocked but continue baking for another 15mins at 160c, the skewer finally came out clean. Heng ah...

I guess Yuri encountered the same problem, Rei, would you tell me is it because my oven is not hot enough? Anyway, the cake taste very good. However, those with a sweet tooth may like to increase sugar by 20-30g, as u know, Rei's family don't eat too sweet. In fact, it taste even better the next day.

Rgds, Kium

Rei said...

Kium : Hi, thanks for your review, glad you like it. As mentioned earlier, each oven is different thus it would be better if you could get an oven thermometer. It will give you a more definite answer. 1 of my friends have to adjust the dial to 190 deg.C for the choco sponge. However, her actual oven temperature is only about 170 deg.C.

Actually, though I know it is very tempting, I do not suggest eating the cakes straight out of the oven. Personally, I think the flavour of the cake continues to develop when left overnight. Thus it will taste better the next day. :)

Anonymous said...

Rei wanna ask u hor, y ur cake bake d so even one. Mine always the middle part os huat till like huat kueh. Why ah I over beat or its the oven temperature.

Rei said...

Hi Sue, try putting the cake at a lower rack. If the cake is too near the top heat element, the top will cook faster. When the cake is ready to rise, it will force the top to crack to give it the space to expand. That's why looks like huat kueh. Btw, your huat kueh very 'huat' leh.. nice! :D

Lydia said...

Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe, i was wondering if i could replace the evaporated milk with fresh or UHT milk? would it affect the outcome?

thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi,me from the Philippines.And i have tried ur chocolate pound cake recipe yesterday. It came out good but dry and have a grainy txture. Why is pound cake like that? I thought it is moist and soft. Anyway i really appreciate ur recipes..and try ur chiffon recipe soon. Thanks and ur site is very informative!!Loves it..Hope that the chiffon recipe is not dat dry..