Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Orange Chocolate Brownies


















Made this for the same Filipino party some time back. Besides coconuts, I think Filipinos/Flilpinas love chocolates. Adults and children will swarm around those who bring chocolates home as gifts. I know of 1 helper around my neighbourhood, she brought home close to 8 kilos of chocolate when she went home for holidays. I don't know if anyone suffered from nosebleed. I was told that some chocolates in Philippines are brittle as the chocolates were mixed with flour. Perhaps that is why one has to bring 8 kilos of chocolate back to Philippines.

I am a hoarder and collector. I like to collect recipes, cook books, crochet patterns. My birthday, last week, I received 5 cook books, 2 crochet pattern books and 1 pattern book on tatting from friends and family. Earlier, a friend sent me a bread slicer from Australia. I just like to tell you all how much I appreciate them. You people really know me. I hope I can put them into good use. The following recipe is adapted from 1 of the books (Brownies, by Linda Collister) which I left there collecting dust for a while. I thought rich, chocolate-y brownies would be a good idea for a Filipino party.

Orange Chocolate Brownies (adapted from Cranberry & Dark Chocolate Brownies)
Ingredients
200g Plain Chocolate, break into smaller pieces(I used Cadbury Old Gold)
200g Butter, diced to small cubes

3 Eggs
170g Fine Sugar
Zest of 1 Orange

200g Plain Flour
100g Diced Almonds (original recipe used cranberries)

Method
1) Prepare a 8 x 8 inch square pan. Preheat oven at 170 degree Celcius.

2) In a heat proof bowl, melt chocolate and butter over a pot of simmering water. Leave aside to cool for use later.

3) In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Add in zest and whisk till mousse-like. Pour in chocolate mixture. Sift in the flour, add almonds and mix well.

4) Bake for 20 minutes or skewer comes clean. Do not overbake it. Leave to cool in pan and cut into squares. Or you can serve warm with ice cream.

I love brownies but I seldom bake them even though they are quite easy to put together. Due to the chocolate content, it is considered as 'heaty' food. I will have to take plenty of water after consuming.

Happy Baking!

7 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Rei,
Nice Orange Chocolatre Brownies! I've always like Orange & Chocolate combinations. Is the orange taste prominent for this? Can I add 1 tsp of orange extract too?

Rei said...

PAB : I think extract is not necessary if you use freshly grated zest. You could add more zest if the orange is smaller.

Baking Fiend said...

Rei,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. will definately try it out!

Anonymous said...

when do u add the melted chocolate. It's not stated.

Rei said...

Anon : Dear oh dear, I'm terribly sorry about this. You should add the chocolate mixture before adding flour. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Will make the amendment. :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Rei,
Just to let you know that you've been tagged in my blog. Have fun! (http://passionbaker.blogspot.com/2008/11/green-tea-macarons.html)

Yuri said...

Hey Rei! Thanks for the comment, I've finally posted an overdue entry, check it out, you've been tagged too! http://yuribake.blogspot.com/2008/11/memories-are-made-of-these.html