Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Braised Lion's head

Photobucket

Another dish which I do not understand the meaning behind its name. Why is it called Lion's Head? Perhaps the vegetables around the meatballs made it look like a lion's mane? The meatballs are supposed to be made to the size of a fist. But I made them into bite size instead. Also, I added more variety of vegetables like carrots and Enoki mushrooms. The original recipe only called for Chinese cabbage (白菜).

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, watching TVB serials was hip. I picked up Cantonese from those dramas that I watched. My Cantonese is still fluent till this day so you have the idea how hooked I was then (my craze now is still Japanese drama). I think I first got to know this dish was through one of those dramas. I remembered the leading lady cooked this for her husband or something. I didn't really get to see how the dish looked like or how they prepared it because the drama was not food-related. The name of the dish was intriguing enough for me to look out for it in a recipe book. Sharing the recipe from an old recipe book that killed the curiosity of mine years back . I made these several times and received positive reviews so far. I later learned that this is a Shanghainese dish. Well, I learnt this from a Taiwanese cookbook. thus I really do not know of the authencity. Perhaps, some good Shanghainese souls out there can share with me? I will be very glad.

Braised Lion's head (红烧狮子头)
Ingredients
(A)

300g Minced Pork
1 Stalk Bok Choy, chopped finely, squeezed dry
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
1/2 egg, beaten
1Tbsp Corn Flour

Oil for deep frying

(B)
600ml Water
1/2 White Cabbage, cut into sections lengthwise
1 Carrot, sliced
120g Enoki Mushrooms
2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste

Method
1) In a bowl, mix (A) together and stir well in 1 direction. Heat up oil in a deep frying pan. In 1 hand, squeeze the minced pork through your thumb and forefinger. Use an oiled spoon to scoop the meatballs and lower into the hot oil. Deep fry till golden brown. Drain away excess oil.

2) In a pot, bring water to boil and add in all vegetables. When the water comes to a boil again, add in the meatballs, soy sauce and season to taste. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

IH wants to put this on the menu on a regular basis. I cook what, you eat what lah.. don't think too much... Looks like I won't be cooking this again any time soon. Hah~ Photobucket

Happy cooking! それじゃ~~

5 comments:

petite fleur said...

Lion's Head is originally Shanghaineses but very popular in Taiwan too so if you had taken it from a Taiwanese cookbook, it shouldn't be too far wrong.

This looks delicious why won't you be cooking this again anytime soon ?

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

yes yes, this is one of the most common shanghainese dish my MIL cooks! i tried cooking it once but it wasn't as good as hers so i never tried again. u have to make them at least 2" in diameter to be called lions' heads or it's just pork balls. hm, i never asked why it's called tt, will ask n tell u.er, addition of enoki m/r n carrots makes ur dish looks more Jap.

Edith said...

haha... i share the same belief. You eat what I lay on the table. Period. hehehe... Lucky for me, my man and kids are easy peasy type. hehehe

Rei said...

Petite Fleur : It is delicious, but I dislike deep frying. It's just me, when IH commented that he likes xx dish, I won't cook it too often. :p But if it's my girl, it'll be different. Ahah~

Terri : Thanks for telling me. 2 inch you say? The pics in that book is misleading! They were huge! Look at least 3 to 3-1/2 inch! I thought I could add more veggies in there.. oh well.. ahaha..

Edith : Great to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Right, this was one of the most popular dishes in my hometown Shanghai. My grandma and dad used to make it in 2.5" dia., they also put shredded ginger along with miniced pork and you won't feel greasy even it was huge