Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Double Chocolate Chips Chiffon Cake

Photobucket


I must apologise if you find my blog abit boring as I am always making chiffon cakes. Well, it's kinda addictive eating chiffon cakes actually. At least, my family thinks so. I like it that chiffon cakes aren't as oily and heavy as butter cakes. Previously, I have attempted a few mousse cakes before I started blogging. Though testers at home agreed that they were good, I had to finish most of the cakes all by myself. This is no good at all, especially when I am trying very hard to lose weight.

I baked this cake at the same time while waiting for my sourdough bread to proof. Knowing Ah Girl will not appreciate the bread, I didn't want her to feel left out. I had some chocolate chips which I wanted to clear off. This is the 2nd time I used Valrhona Cocoa Powder, the result is impressive. Everyone tasted it agreed that the chocolate taste is rich. No surprise here; I used my tried and tested chiffon cake recipe and modified accordingly. However, I have finished my stash of egg whites, so I only used 4 egg whites in this recipe. I am abit lazy and too tired to make ice cream tonight.

Double Chocolate Chips Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)

4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil

(B)
140g Warmed Fresh Milk (I used Meiji Low Fat Milk)
25g Cocoa Powder

*Mix well

(C)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking Soda

*Sift 2x

(D)
4 egg whites
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

80g Chocolate Chips

Method
1) In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.

2) Add oil and salt, whisk and add chocolate milk. Stir well.

3) Fold in sifted flour and mix well.

4) In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.

5) Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.

6) Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.

7) Pour the mixture and add chocolate chips to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.

8) Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.

9) Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 180 deg.C for 10mins.

10) Turn down the temperature to 170 deg.C and bake for 20mins.

11) Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.

12) Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.

*Note : I still prefer to use 4 yolks, 5 whites' recipe. Difference of 1 egg white is alot. The cake is slightly shorter than what I usually baked.

The cake was ready before dinner and Ah Girl was already waiting for me to cut it. She was pinching at the cake so I gave her a small slice before dinner. Shouldn't have done that. She had another slice after dinner and asked for a 3rd helping, which I stopped her. I suggested giving some away to my parents and brought her to the verge of tears. Like chocoholic mom, like chocoholic daughter. Ahahaha...

Besides baking bread and cake, I cooked dinner as well. I didn't plan the menu beforehand and bought aubergines and some char siew along the way. It was a fluke actually, the aubergine and char siew combo was quite good. A nice dish to go with rice. IH and helper had seconds. I didn't think much of it during cooking, so I didn't do a good job at cutting them up. Thus failed for presentation. Ahahaha.. Should you need the recipe, do drop me a note.

Happy baking/cooking~ それじゃ~~

11 comments:

Florence said...

Rei,
Yummy choc chiffon!
Happy Mother's Day. :)

Yuri said...

Wow rei! I think I will try it some time soon! Hope u had a happy mummy's day

颜姨 said...

Hi Rei,

I finally found your blog. Still new in blog era.

Happy mother day!

I'm so amaze that one could make wine at home! Should try out one day!

shira

Rei said...

Florence, Yuri : Thanks! Hope you enjoyed the day too!

Shira : Hi there. Thanks for dropping by. :) Hope to pop by your blog soon!

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Rei,

You make a real impressive chiffon cake... all the time! You are like the queen of chiffon cake making! I just wish I can find a vegan version :P

Haha! Take care dear!

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Hi Rei,

Just wanted to let you know you bake super fantastic chiffon cakes... Always been a fan of yours! Take care!

Rei said...

Halimah dear, you are making me blush with your ccmpliments. Thank you!

Mags said...

Hi Rei,

I just tried out your recipe successfully. Thanks for sharing!

Wen said...

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I baked this choc chiffon cake yesterday and it's turn out really good.

I'm a regular reader of your blog and hope you don't mind I have linked your blog in mine.

Thanks again,
Wendy

Unknown said...

Hi Rei, if I have a 23cm tube pan, do I double the ingredients?

Unknown said...

Hi Rei, if I'm using a 23cm tube pan (cox that's the only one I have), how should I modify the recipe? I'm interested in all of your chiffon but they are all for 21cm tube pans. Should I double it up? Or what should I do? Looking forward to hearing from you. Many thanks!