Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Double Choc Chips Muffins

Photobucket

It has been a really hectic day yesterday. I tagged along Ah Girl's school excursion to the Underwater World in the morning. This shouldn't really be in my busy schedule and I was really contemplating to go to work instead. I had to work on weekends and public holiday as well. This is how tight and close the deadlines are. But I thought I really need a breather and since I have already paid for it, I might as well go. It is an opportunity for me to spend some quality time with Ah Girl too.

It was a right and wrong decision. The right decision because; I was able to see how Ah Girl interacted with her peers and teachers. At her age, it's 'monkey see monkey do'. I arrested some of the bad habits which she picked up at school and had a long talk about it before bedtime. Wrong decision because; while I was away, something cropped up at the production site yet and again. That really dampened my mood. The teachers must be wondering why I looked so sulky. When we returned, I rushed back to the office after a quick lunch. It must be punishment of some form that I 'abandoned' my work for a couple of hours. I was running around like a lunatic and the work doesn't seem to end. Yeah~ this Saturday and Sunday burnt again. I stole some time to blog this in the office. Photobucket

So much for my ranting. I was home rather late and after my long 'lecture' to Ah Girl, I didn't have time to bake. I promised her not to work this Saturday and Sunday and that I would bake her a chocolate chiffon cake for breakfast. Haiya~~ I broke my promise. This morning, I only had time for this quick fix. I hope she doesn't mind. The original recipe is found here. I made some adjustment as I didn't have molasses.

Double chocolate muffins (yield 9 pcs, depending on size of cups used)
Ingredients
220g Self Raising Flour
250ml UHT milk
140g Fine Sugar
100g Melted Butter
1 Egg (beaten)
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
80g Chocolate Chips

Extra chocolate chips for sprinkling (There is no such thing as chocolate overdose Photobucket)

Method
1) In a mixing bowl, add butter and cream with sugar with a whisk.

2) Add beaten egg and mix well.

3) Add flour and milk, vanilla essence, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Do not over-mix.

4) Spoon mixture into aluminium cups to about 80% full.

5) Drop some chocolate chips on top.

6) Baked at 170 deg.C for 25 mins or till skewer comes clean.

*Note to self : If I were to make this again, I'd probably drop in some cut Mars bars Snickers bars or Maltesers to add some 'surprise' in the muffins for Ah Girl.

じゃね~

8 comments:

Yuri said...

Hey Rei, you went to Sentosa this mrng and went to work and baked these muffins in the morning? You are one supermom!

I tried yr orange chiffon recipe, turned out looking like cheesecake, super soft too. However, after adding 10g of sugar, cake is still a little bland and left a bitter aftertaste. Perhaps the oranges are too sour? My dd is hoarding the comp again and I am stealing a moment to leave a comment lol

Rei said...

Yuri : Ahahah.. no lah.. where got super. I think you misread. I went Sentosa yesterday morning, went back to work. This morning then baked the muffins before rushing off to work.

About the cake, this is what I usually do; I will sample the ingrdients like fruits or juices before I decide how much sugar to use. For my recipes, I tend to reduce sugar as fussy eaters at home don't like cakes overly sweet. Besides, if cakes are too sweet, it will overcome the taste of the other indgredients. My aunt who uses the same recipe, will use 120g of sugar for her sweet tooth. Thus the degree of sweetness depends on individuals.

If it looks like cheesecake, means the cake has collapsed. Problem usually lies in the folding of egg whites or achieving stiff peaks. Or you can check if the sides and bottom of the cake is browned evenly. Underbaked chiffon cakes will collapse as well. As for the bitter aftertaste, it might be the white pith of the orange. When you grate the zest, take care to avoid the pith. It is the pith that is bitter. HTH :)

Yuri said...

Hey Rei, thanks for the analysis. I tried the oranges and indeed they were sour but still i used it. Thats why I added sugar but guess it wasn't enough.

About folding egg whites, you could be right, I will be going for Gina's next chiffon class again in June (repeat student lol). Must see how to fold in. But for today, I'm quite sure I had not baked the cakes enough (I baked TWO cakes!)

Omg, indeed, I had misread it! I stole a moment to use comp when dd walked away, took a fast read at yr post...

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course. Please do it.
それじゃ~~

Gina Choong said...

rei, I am dead tired today after the number of cakes I had to do and assemble for my MIL..but having to read that you are rushing in and out, home, work, I said a prayer for you :) For being a wonderful mother! If I am so tired, I just order KFC or Pizza for my kids..not baked. Like yuri said, " You are a super mom!"

KWF said...

rei, you are really very super, like what yuri and gina said. It's a good and right decision to go with your girl. Production problems always happen, don't they? And by Murphy's Law, they will happen no matter what you did to prevent.

btw, I just bake the hummingbird ytd. Turn out just like my fav american carrot cake. But can only take a small piece at one go.

Rei said...

Edamame : ありがと!

Gina : Thanks for your prayer and compliment. :D Your cakes look really great!

WF : Ya.. abit sian lor..

Jullie Teo said...

Hey Hey, I'm baking the chocolcate chip muffins now... ;) EASY! Thanks for the recipe...

Jul