Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Going Bananas!

Banana Chiffon

This was the cake I mentioned I made last Saturday. After CNY, prayers, offerings and everything, my mom had lots of bananas left. So, she passed some to me. In return, I baked her a Banana Chiffon cake. Not too bad a deal ya.. :)

Prior to this, I have been experimenting with other Banana Chiffon reipes with my new oven. It has been rather frustrating as I couldn't get the right texture. I did not encounter any problem with Orange or Pandan Chiffon with my old conventional oven. But I have not tried baking a Banana Chiffon before. My first Banana Chiffon cake was too wet. I blamed myself being inexperienced with a convection oven.

After speaking to Gina (KC) on MSN, I got an idea how I should go about for the temperature control. After my 2nd attempt, it dawned to me that the recipe wasn't right. Thus, after much tweaking, I present you my 3rd attempt. Being very happy with the results, I went on to bake another. ^_^

A cross-section look of the cake. Fluffy~~
Banana Chiffon Cross-section

Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
50g corn oil
130g mashed bananas

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda

*Sift 2x

(C)
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method
1) In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.

2) Add oil and salt, whisk and add mashed bananas. Stir well.

3) Fold in sifted flour and mix well.

4) In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.

5) Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.

6) Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.

7) Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.

8) Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.

9) Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 10mins.

10) Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for 10mins. Lift up the foil to check the surface of cake, bake for another 10mins.

11) Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.

12) Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled. The surface will feel abit wet but it will be dry after exposing to the air.

*Note : You can replace corn oil with other odourless vegetable oil. Try not to use butter.

**Note : I am using a convection oven with fan which I cannot turn off. I didn't preheat the oven. If you are using a convention oven, it might be more straight forward. Try baking at 170 to 180 deg.C for 40 to 45mins, you will need to preheat the oven.

***Note : According to my mom, a good chiffon cake should spring back after cutting or pressing, moist but not wet.

Happy baking~ じゃね。

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for sharing the chiffon cake recipe. Hey check out my blog got a tag for you.

Rei said...

Hi Sue, no problem. Thanks for the tag. :)

Anonymous said...

hey reirei, your chiffon cake looks so absolutely mouth-watering. will definitely try it when i can afford the time one of these days! - cookingmonster

Edith said...

Hi Rei Rei, what is a convection oven? Those table top type?

I have tagged you, do check it out. Hi Hi, you have been tagged. Do check it out. http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2008/02/long-story.html

Rei said...

Hi cookingmonster, do try it. It's yummy. :)

Edith, thanks for the tag. :) Hmm.. convection oven is the type of oven with fan. It is said to eliminate hot spots and bake more evenly. Mine's a table top one, 42 litres.

rgds
Rei

sweet-tooth said...

Hey!
This is my first time here and i think your blog's great ;D
Your chiffon cake looks wonderful!
So nicely done :D
Btw, may i link you?
Thanks in advance! (:

Rei said...

Hi sweet-tooth, thanks for your kind words. The pleasure's mine. We'll exchange links then. :)

sweet-tooth said...

Hi Rei!
I tried out this recipe today, turned out great.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe ;D

Bakertan said...

Hi Rei,

I tried your recipe and the cake was fluffy and carries a light banana fragrance. However i only have peanut oil on hand. luckily the strong peanut aroma did not interfere much.

The top of my cake domed quite a bit though and the dome did not sink to a flat surface. Is this due to high oven temperature? i baked mine at 40mins at 180 degrees.

Rei said...

Baking Librarian : It's alright if the top doesn't sink. The main concern is having the cake not to sink. :D But if you are worried, try to cover the the pan with aluminium foil and lower the temperature 5 to 10 degrees. That will help to get it more even. Happy baking!

Bakertan said...

Hi Rei,

thanks for the tips. I will try to bake it at 170 degrees next time

tata said...

Hello Rei,
I tired baking your banana chiffon cake and it was succesful. I use 10 inch round pan by wilton. the only problem was I cannot remove the cake from the pan. Any advice? can I line it with parchment paper? Do I really have to use a tube pan? can I use the heated core?

Thanks for sharing your recipes and giving tip regarding the chiffon cakes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rei chance upon your blog, it's wonderful. Your chiffon cakes tips are great, especially for beginners. Rei,need your advise,I love chiffon cakes a lot, the only problem i have is the folding part, very stress as i still get the "kueh" texture at times. How to prevent and any good advise on this.
ek :)

NEL said...

Hi! I just saw your blog from BakerTan's blog, and was intrigued by this recipe.

I mentioned you didn't pre-heat your oven... and this didn't afffect the batter rising? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

hi good day! i just tried your recipe and it came out great! it is so yummy dat my mom loves it!thanks for it!