Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Who Moved My Cheese... Bread?

Cream Cheese Bread

I know.. I know.. how come bread again ah?? Bread is a staple, cake's a treat. So, cake can take a backseat. Eheheh... This week alone, I baked 3 loaves of bread. I haven't had the time to blog this, Cream Cheese Bread. Got too excited and obsessed about the water roux bread. The original recipe was scouted by a fellow blogger KWF. Thanks for sharing yo~.

It is not as cheesy as what I would have loved it to be (yes, I heart cheese) but yields a really soft bread even without any bread improver. It should retain its softness for 3 days if it ever lasts that long. Mine was gone in less than 2 days, so I wouldn't know. It is THAT good and I only got to eat 2-1/2 slices of it. Pathetic. Hey, I baked it you know. Show me some respect mah.. Tsk.. -_- Anyway, do not take my word for it, try it. I made some slight adjustment as I do not use butter for my bread and I tried the Sponge Dough method for this bread.

Photobucket

Cream Cheese Bread

Ingredients (yield about 550g of dough)
Starter Dough
180g Bread flour
120g Water
1 ¼ tsp Instant Yeast

Main Dough
70g Bread Flour
40g Water
1 tbsp Milk Powder
20g Sugar
50g Cream Cheese
¼ tsp salt
15g Corn Oil

Some flour to dust
Some butter to grease tin

Method
1) Mix all ingredients for Starter Dough in a mixing bowl, use dough hook, using low speed, beat to form a dough. Increase to medium speed, beat dough till it doesn't stick to the side of the bowl and appears to be smooth. Roll the dough into a ball, cover the bowl with cling wrap, leave aside to proof for 90 minutes.

2) After 90 minutes, transfer the Starter Dough to a bowl. In the mixing bowl, add all ingredients for Main dough, except salt and corn oil. Beat at medium speed, gradually add in Starter Dough in small batches to the Main dough until well corporated. Add in salt and corn oil slowly and beat to a smooth, elastic dough (Do the pinch test to check if it is ready).

3) Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Roll the dough into a ball and rest it for 10 minutes. Use a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle. Starting with the shorter end, roll up the dough swiss roll style. Place in the loaf tin to proof for 45 minutes or double in size.

4) Apply egg wash/milk and bake at 170 deg.C for 30 minutes.

Happy baking~ じゃね~

2 comments:

KWF said...

rei, it's good to have someone eat your bakes, right? Although that means we get to eat less, but also good, means no need to put on so much weight...hahaha... I've heard of the Sponge Dough method, but haven't try it yet. Does it work like the water-roux, as in make the bread softer? Nowadays I'm also obssessed with bread.

Rei said...

WF, using the Sponge Dough method (中种)also allows the dough to absorb more water, thus giving the bread the soft texture. It will also yield a bigger dough than the Straight Dough method. Stays soft and keeps longer. I think it is more or less the same as the water roux method in this area, just that the starter is prepapred in different ways.