Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Blondies

Photobucket

I have been wanting to make brownies for some time now. However, either I was having sore throat or Ah Girl was having cough. I guess the weather has not been good lately. It is getting humid and hot. You can still sweat buckets working around in the kitchen, even though I usually bake at night, when it is cooler. I tried to control Ah Girl's intake of 'heaty' food such as chocolate and chips. I have been searching for a brownie recipe or rather brownie-like recipe, without using obscene amount of chocolate. I chanced upon this recipe from Simply Recipes. Hence, I got to know the rightful name of this delicious dessert is 'Blondies'.

Although it is called 'Blondies', do not expect it to be pale coloured though. The recipe uses molasses that will colour this sweet treat brown. I actually told Ah Girl that it is a 'chocolate cake'. She ate them without any suspicion. Perhaps, she ate it because I added some chocolate chips in the end. This is an easy recipe. You will just need 1 bowl to mix everything in. I used 1.5 times of the recipe as I am using a 10" x 10" pan. I think I should have doubled the recipe and it would fit anyway. I made some changes along the way and below is my interpretation of Blondies.

Blondies
Ingredients
6 oz Butter, melted
1/2 cup Molasses, tightly packed
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, tighly packed
1/4 Tsp Salt
1-1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence

1-1/2 cup Plain Flour
1-1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/8 Tsp Baking Soda

*Sift together

2 egg, lightly beaten
60g Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I used Hershey's)

Method
1) Grease a 10" x 10" pan.

2) In a bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar. Add salt and vanilla essence.

3) Add in flour mixture and stir well. Add the eggs and chocolate chip till incorporated.

4) Pour the batter in the prepared pan and use a spatuala to spread out evenly. Bake at 170 degree C. for 20 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean. Cut and serve when completely cooled.

*Note : Please refer to the original recipe in the above provided link. I am supposed to add 1-1/2 eggs but I did not bother to take out that 1/2 egg. Also, I totally forgot about the eggs until I have added the flour. Thus you see that eggs were added in rather late in the recipe.

** Note : The original recipe called for dark brown sugar, which is also known as molasses. I ran out of it and only had 1/2 cup worth of it left. That's why I substituted the other 1/2 cup with regular brown sugar. As usual, I reduced the amount of sugar used.

Taste-wise : This is really good! I love the taste of it. It is not too oily; you won't get greasy fingers after picking up a piece. It doesn't taste heavy, you can definitely eat more than one. Despite me adding the eggs last, the blondie did not turn out densed. It does not have the chewy texture though. I suspect it is either due to the lack of chocolates or I have reduced the sugar.

I asked my helper to give out some to her friends and regretted that decision. I regretted not packing some to work while I was uploading the picture of it. I was craving for it! When I returned home, I got only 2 pieces left! Next time I'll just hoard the whole tray to myself. Hah!

Happy baking~ じゃね~

No comments: