Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hong Zao Chicken

Photobucket

Finally. I was able to savour the fruit of my labour. I harvested my Red Glutinous Wine some time back. After distributing to family and friends, I stash some of it for myself (*sshhh~~). I needed to know if the wine is up to mark, To be honest, I did not have Hong Zao Chicken (红糟鸡) for both of my confinements. First of all, my helper does not know how to cook the dish. I am a Teochew and I seldom eat this dish. So I myself do not know how to cook it too. I wasn't very sure where to buy the wine lees too. Some of my friends discouraged me from taking too much alcohol during confinement since I was breastfeeding. Thus I did not have the chance to spike Ah Boy's milk to make him drunk sleep.

When I handed my friend, M, Ah Boy's first month cake, she treated me to a bowl of 红糟面线 (Mee Suah, also known as wheat flour vermicelli). Aiya, it was then that I realised what I have missed. That was why I started this journey of wine making so that she wouldn't miss out this dish for her confinement. According to the mommies of the new mommies, Hong Zao cleanses the womb (Oh dear, is it too late to spring clean mine?). It was also found that Hong Zao is able to bring down the bad cholesterol level (Wikipedia), improves blood circulation and may prevent coronary heart disease.

This is how I did my Hong Zao Chicken (红糟鸡). I had it with Mee Suah on last Saturday. I had the leftovers with rice for lunch. Yums!
Ingredients
1 Chicken, about 1.6kg, chop into small pieces (I removed skin and trimmed off fats)
1 section Ginger, peeled and julienned
3 generous Tbsp Red Wine Lees
2 Cups Red Glutinous Rice Wine
3 to 4 stalks Scallions, cut into lengths
2 to 3 stalks Cilantro, cut into lengths

Marinade
2 Tbsp Ginger Juice
3 Tbsp Red Glutinous Rice Wine
1/2 Tsp Salt
Some Sesame oil

Extras
Some Sesame oil for frying
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Red Glutinous Rice Wine to drizzle

Method
1) Place all the chicken pieces in a heat proof bowl, pour hot, boiling water over chicken, Drain, marinate and set aside for about 30 minutes.

2) Heat up a wok, add sesame oil and ginger. Fry till fragrant. Add in chicken pieces to fry.

3) Add in wine and wine lees, season to taste and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.

4) Toss in the scallions and cilantro just before removing from heat. Drizzle some wine, garnish and serve.

Wine making is interesting and it has grown on me. Currently I am on another 2 batches of Red Glutinous Rice Wine. 1 for a mommy-to-be and another for M's friend. I am willing to make this wine for mommies-to-be for free (or those who like Hong Zao). All I am asking for is that they pay for the ingredients (which is dirt cheap), provide me with empty glass containers for the wine and lees they will be getting in 21 or 28 days. Maybe say a prayer or two for my children if they cared to; alright if they don't. Err.. no, I'm not a Christian or a Catholic, in case you're wondering... Photobucket

それじゃ~~

5 comments:

Edith said...

I am eager to try this. Care to tell me where I can buy those glass container?

Yuri said...

hey, kar-ki-nang, i'm teochew too. u r so sweet u know, making wine for mommies to be.

thanks for the recipe, i'll try it this weekend, hopefully.

Rei said...

Edith : You want to attempt wine making? The big containers are sold in those shops that sell sundries stuffs. *psst.. This batch I reserved a portion for you already. Will be ready by mid Aug. We meet up then ok? :D

Yuri : Wah.. you are kar ki nang! No sweet lah, I am just paying forward the kindness I received. Do try and let me know! :)

Gina Choong said...

rei, try marinating the chicken with wine lees overnight in the fridge. then cook it the next day. Also, save some of the red wine to soak a big jar of young ginger slices. delicious as an cold appetizer(pickled ginger) or use it to fry the chicken.

Rei said...

Gina : Thanks for the advice! Forgot that I can actually marinate with the lees. :p