Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 28, 2008

Baked Rice


















Ya... I've been slacking. Hee~~ managed to watch some J Dorama and was hooked on the hunks storyline hunks storyline. *Ahem~~ A couple of posts were sitting there waiting for the write up but I'll just leave them alone for the time being. I'll tell you why later. Anyhow, I was inspired by Cook Bake Legacy in her recent post of Baked Rice. It is a good way to use up leftovers, rice especially instead of the usual fried rice.

Why do I keep emphasising the use of leftovers? We live in a time where food is abundance but that is about to change. As some farmers see growing crops for biofuel is getting more lucrative, food crops are affected. The food prices are being pushed up, it is a world wide problem. Wasting food is not an option. We tend to buy/cook more than necessary. I remembered my mom telling this; finish your food (rice) else your future husband will be pock-marked. Hmm~~ maybe I didn't do as she said, that's why IH's face...

Okay, I digress. I am writing this down so Ah Girl will know, '谁知盘中餐,粒粒皆辛苦'. I will refrain from using this same scare tactics or something along the line however tempting. I have some salmon bellies and canned pineapples left in the fridge. Instead of using cream of XXX soup, I thought that some tomato sauce will take some of the fishy smell away. As the rice was abit dry, I added a layer of mushrooms on top to keep the rice moist. So this is my version of Baked Rice, using whatever I had on hand.

Baked Rice (Serves 4)
Ingredients
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
250g Salmon fillet

1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1/4 Onion, chopped finely
4 bowls Cooked Rice
1 Cup Mixed Vegetables

150g Canned Pineapples, cubed
100g White Button Mushrooms, sliced

1/2 Can Tomato Puree (about 180g)
200g shredded Cheddar Cheese

Some Olive Oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Method
1) Heat up a wok, add oil and fry the eggs and scramble them into bite size. Remove from wok and set aside.

2) Pan fry the salmon till cooked, mash them up and set aside.

3) Heat up the wok, add oil and fry onions and garlic till fragrant. Add in mix vegetables and fry for about 1 minute. Add in the rice to stir fry and season to taste.

4) In a 8 x 8 inch aluminium cake tin, mix rice, salmon, eggs and pineapples together. Lay sliced button mushrooms on top and spread the tomato puree. Sprinkle cheese on top.

5) Bake the rice in a preheated oven at 180 deg.C for 20 mins or till the cheese melted and browned slightly.

*Note : Alternatively, you do not have to fry the rice, just mix it with the cooked ingredients and bake.

If you have not noticed, I usually do not put down the amount of seasonings required. This is because, I do not measure them. I also seldom weigh my ingredients as I usually cook according to feel and taste. As a result, some of my posts in the draft folder will suffer. Unlike baking, I don't record them down as I go along. So, either I try to recall what I did or they will get deleted in time. I think I need to get used to the habit of writing things down as this is one of the purpose of having this blog.

じゃね~~

1 comment:

ganache-ganache said...

Hi, I usually add some mozzarella cheese too when I bake rice, my girls like the way the cheese 'pulls'