Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 5, 2008

Marble Chiffon Cake

Photobucket

I have always wanted to attempt a marble chiffon cake. Although I have been rather successful with chiffon cakes (thanks mom!), I still have cold feet making a marble chiffon cake. I was afraid that I might deflate the cake if I meddle with the batter for too long. I don't know why I gave it a shot yesterday. Maybe I have lost my sanity and need to do something insane to prove it. Photobucket

Anyhow, it didn't turn out too well. The marbling effect is non existent. Now that I have attempted it, it is not as scary as I thought. Perhaps my next try would be better. I modified my Orange Chiffon Cake for this.

Marble Chiffon Cake (Orange and Chocolate Flavour)
Ingredients
(A)

4 Egg Yolks
40g Fine Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
40g Corn Oil
120g Orange Juice
Zest of 1 orange

(B)
20g Warmed Evaporated Milk
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

*Mix well

(C)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder

*Sift 2x

(D)
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method
1) In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.

2) Add oil and salt, whisk and add orange juice and zest. Stir well.

3) Fold in sifted flour and mix well.

4) In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.

5) Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.

6) Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.

7) Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.

8) Take out 1/3 of the batter, add in mixture (B), mix well.

9) Spoon the orange batter, alternating chocolate batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Use a chopstick to pull backward and forward through the mixture. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.

10) Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 10mins.

11) Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for 10mins. Lift up the foil to check the surface of cake, bake for another 10mins.

12) Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.

13) Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.


Thus, at least I fulfilled my promise of baking a 'soft soft' cake for Ah Girl. She loves it and nothing makes me happier seeing her enjoying the cake.

それじゃ~~ Pardon me for the short post. I have to go back to work for now.

3 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

looks very soft n yummy! i also did a chiffon cake :0 about the marbling effect, try drawing tight circles with your chopstick ir knife--hope tt helps.

Rei said...

Thanks Terri for the tip. Was afraid that I might deflate the cake, which is unfounded. :p

QQ red apple said...

hi rei,
I likes your marble chiffon! Can send to netherlands ah?????/ just kidding. your kids are so lucky to have a good mom likes you!!