Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sesame Street Buddies


















I made this cake along with other Sesame Street characters for a 3 year old girl. She requested for Ernie for her birthday cake and her mommy wanted cupcakes to go along with the main cake. With Ernie as the main attraction, she left the rest to me. So Ernie is to be surrounded by his friends namely, Cookie Monster, Elmo, Oscar the Grouch and of course, Bert. I guess everyone watched Sesame Street at some point of their younger days. No matter how the show evolved, my personal favourites are still Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster and Ernie. But I guess in recent years, Elmo and Zoe gained their following.


















The quality of pictures could have been better. But as usual, I was pressed for time and the pictures were taken at night. They are chocolate sponge cake frosted with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream. I have quite alot of egg whites in my freezer, left from my CNY bakes. So they came in really handy. I didn't have to worry about having leftover egg yolks. While I did Ernie on my own, I couldn't have done the cupcakes without the generous sharing of a lady. I found how she did hers here. I always thought making cupcakes is a hassle but guess I have finally found the fun factor in it now. Though it was stressful trying to get the colours right, I enjoyed the entire process of making these. I hope I did justice to the characters and especially Ernie. My hands were trembling towards the end of piping.

The mommy was happy with the outcome when I MMS her the pictures. I hope the lil' miss felt the same way too. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make these. Again, just me being anal, there were flaws which I hope to improve next time round.

*Update*

I have the mommy's permission to post her little baby's picture here. Sharing the happy moments with you.
























Look at the boys flocking around her. They know a pretty girl when they see one. Eheh~~

じゃね~~

18 comments:

Gina Choong said...

wah, the cookie monster and Oscar the grouch look very real. your piping skills improved in great leaps! Good work done!

Baking Fiend said...

very cute and accurate renderings of the characters! they are perfect, Rei. :)

Tania said...

i'm a super big sesame street fan....absolutely adore these!!! you are really talented rei!!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow... these cupcakes look great!!!! My DS and me love the Elmo 1.. they are so cute... realli great job done!!! :)

KWF said...

Rei, I love the cuppies, esp Cookie Monster & Oscar! Lovely work!

Noob Cook said...

they are exact and looks very professional ;p me very impressed ;p

Happy Homebaker said...

Wow, these are so cute! You are so good at piping! I love Elmo :)

Rei said...

Thank you ladies. Thank goodness I pulled it off. :D

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Wow! Rei Rei, looks amazing... the color is vibrant and the piping is superb! I wish I was as talented and patient as u! Can I find for the Ernie cake, did u have a stencil to follow or u free-handed it?

Hearty Bakes said...

Hi Rei!
I'm new to your blog and really enjoying myself with all the beautiful bakes and recipes you shared!
Your cakes are professionally done
I'm new to baking, hope to share our passion in baking :)

Rei said...

Halimah : Thanks! Sure you can! The cakes you have done were superb too. I had the picture in front of me while I poke toothpicks on the frosted cake to guide me. Then I pipe out the outline with chocolate ganache. That's why I had to pipe stars over to camouflage.

Yuri said...

Hey Rei, I'm speechless, great job!

Rei said...

Thanks Yuri!

Rei said...

Jessie : I must be half blind as I failed to catch your comment. Thank you and welcome to my blog.

Hearty Bakes said...

Hi Rei!
i'll to try donut baking after seeing yours. Can you advise me where i can get such donut baking pan?I can't find in PH. Thanks Rei for your sharing.

Rei said...

Jessie : I got mine at Sunlik. It's much cheaper there. PH has it but they labelled it for Savarin, cost a bomb.

wallpapersdeco said...

hi have a nice day.. looking for wallpapers for your house? or your friends/relative interested, visit my blog! http://wallpapersdeco.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like Sesame street characters and love this cake a lot. I got Winnie the Pooh blueberry cheese cake for my bday last month but Winnie the Pooh was made of fondant only, not as nice as yours. Great job, Rei. Cheers